Tuesday, February 15, 2011

I go and come


When you go somewhere new and come back everyone always asks "How was it?" Whether or not we are genuinely interested, we seem to feel obligated to ask the question.

How do you explain that that time was and always will be a completely unique experience to you and no matter what you do with your words or pictures, no one can ever really go back there with you?

Week 1: Muketeshwar - Himalayan Foothills

Yet, I still find myself wanting to share every moment of that crazy experience with everyone I love. I think the biggest revelation I've had after three months of traveling in India, Nepal and Ghana is that real experience in invaluable. Learning that primarily or solely consists of textual study or even collaborative discussion are really only brushing the surface of a place or issue. Living the knowledge, being prodded by 'culture', being put outside your comfort zone helps expose your conscience to the real heart of the matter out there, and sometimes it transforms knowledge into wisdom. I call this a revelation, others call it culture shock.


2 comments:

  1. yeah it's so hard to describe to everyone. crazy and amazing. different. what does that really say? i want to go back!

    love,
    vish

    ReplyDelete
  2. i very much like this: "living the knowledge... transforms it into wisdom."

    ReplyDelete